Awasu's most powerful feature is it's amazing customizability. There are so many ways to change both the way Awasu looks and works and this page is your launching point to find out more.
Template files are used to control how the content for each channel is presented. Awasu 2.2.1 introduced a much more powerful template processor and a swag of different templates ([screenshots]). Most everything you might want to do can be done solely through the use of CSS but it is also possible to get really your hands dirty are start tweaking the template files themselves.
NOTE: If your template includes external graphic files or consists of more than one or two files, it would best packaged up as a ZIP file. Please send it to us and we'll upload it and give you a URL to link to it.
These are the channel templates available for free download!
- Shades of Purple: A purple theme.
- Little Dino: Two attractive themes.
- SkyLine: A dark theme based on Awasu's Eclipse.
- Metal: A metallic theme.
- Partial Eclipse: A minimalist grey theme.
[Reports ]are used to re-publish feed content out of Awasu. The most common way is to add feed items to a [workpad] where you can edit them and add your comments, then assemble them together in a report and publish it.
These are the report templates available for free download!
- Delimiter-separated Values Channel Report: Lets you export your feed data into a common format that is easily importable into a wide variety of software e.g. databases, spreadsheets, etc.
- Excel: Lets you export your feed data directly into an XML-based Excel format featuring embedded hyperlinks, Workpad notes (if applicable), AutoFilter enabled and locked column headings.
- KML: Lets you take locations embedded in your feeds and look at them in a geo-browser e.g. Google Earth or Google Maps.
- MOBI: Lets you make eBook files that can be read on mobile eBook readers e.g. Amazon's Kindle and smartphones e.g. Android, iPhone, etc.
Plugin channels let Awasu extract information from anywhere at all, not just a web site with a feed. They can be written in any language you like and can be as short as a dozen lines! Check out the Samples sub-directory under where you installed Awasu for lots of examples.
These are the plugin channels available for free download!
- URL Monitor: Monitors one or more web pages and notifies you when they have changed.
- OPML Monitor: Monitors an OPML file and notifies you when it has changed.
- WebScrape: Scrapes a web page using regular expressions to generate a feed.
- NNTP: Generates a feed from NNTP news groups.
- Combine Feeds: Combines multiple feeds into a single feed.
- Filter Feed Items: Filters a feed's items by keyword (or regular expression).
- Event Log: Monitors the Windows Event Log and generates an RSS feed for it.
- Change Feed Encoding: Changes a feed's encoding to UTF-8.
- Code Project Soapbox: Generates a feed for The Code Project's Soapbox.
- XML Cleaner: Runs a feed through uTidyLib to correct errors in the RSS/Atom data.
- Remove Junk After Document Element: Removes trailing junk from an XML feed.
- BBCode to HTML: Strips the BBCode out of a feed and converts it to HTML.
Channel hooks are a unique feature of Awasu that transforms it into an extremely powerful information processing tool. Like plugin channels, they are small scripts (that can be written in any language) that are invoked when things happen on a channel, analyze what happened and then intelligently respond to it.
These are the channel hooks available for free download!
- MySQL: Saves feed content in a MySQL database as it arrives.
- Enclosure Transfer: Extends Awasu to operate as a podcast client for iTunes.
- Save Channel Feeds: Saves copies of a channel's XML feed as it is updated.
- Add To Default Workpad: Adds all of a Channel's feed items to the Default Workpad.
- Email On Channel Error: Sends an email if a channel starts getting update errors.
- Channel title as item data: Makes the channel title available as item metadata.
Awasu can easily be integrated with other programs through the use of User Tools and Send-To tools.
These are some of the integrations that can be done:
Awasu provides native support for using XSLT and/or SOAP to manipulate feed XML. This makes it incredibly easy to query web services and other XML-based services and convert the results into a feed that Awasu can use.
These are the XSLT/SOAP files available for free download!
- Reverse Feed: Reverses the order of feed items within a feed.
- Fix GUID isPermalink: Fixes incorrectly set isPermalink attributes in RSS feeds.
- GeoRSS-Simple to W3C Basic Geo XSLT: Converts GeoRSS-Simple <georss:point> elements to W3C Basic Geo <geo:lat> and <geo:long> elements.
- Automatic Feed Translation
Metadata modules let Awasu extract this extra embedded information out of a channel's feed XML and store it in the archive database. This information is then accessible along with all the other normal feed metadata and can be inserted in channel summary pages, reports, etc.