There are two types of plugin:
- channel plugins. These generate feeds for web sites that don't have
- application plugins. These extend the functionality of Awasu itself.
The Syndic8 plugin that comes with Awasu is an example of this, letting you
search Syndic8.com for new channels.
Plugins can be written in any language you choose. The only requirement is
that you be able to read a Windows INI file and can write to the console. Popular
choices are scripting languages such as Python or Perl but you could also use
Java, C++ or C#!
If you or your users want to use plugins written in a scripting language you
will, of course, need to have the appropriate scripting engine installed. Here
are where you can get some of them:
- The home page for Python is www.python.org.
And unless you already have something that can read Windows INI files, you
will also need the WIN32 extensions.
- ActivePerl can be obtained from ActiveState.
- The Java Runtime Environment can be downloaded from Sun.