awasu.user

GUI improvment + Analytics view tools

Post by awasu.user » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Intro

As I use Awasu some time and make a lot of analytics of them I think about few improvment for use out of box. I grouped them on two fields - first is GUI features. It is for faster view and more control and comfortable viewing new headlines. In some case is strange for me. I have to use Python script to get grouped articles in folders. I should be option to use GUI. It will be faster and more accurate (articles up to date).

Second is more add new branch of posibility - start make them analytics itselfs. It is not first design choose of Author of software, but I think it should be considered. Hot trends as API feature, create watch dog for folder and get historic data, how is change it is go in the future. A lot of people make this themself, but why not add this functionality to Awasu GUI application? Basing trending and self learning filtering is make them most usefull to narrow data to view in application. Above 30 channels it is start troublesome use GUI and with above hundrends is not posible to fast and quick view new articles - filtering is must be on the first position.

GUI improvment list

1. View list of articles with / without short description:

a) click on folder - load all articles in folder (grouped channel) in view in middle / right (left) window
b) view only last 10/20/100 new articles per channel + option a)
c) keyboard shortcuts to new folder / folder up or for root level folder if someone have nested hierarchy of feeds like me), open / close actual folder level channels

2. Analytics view:
a) hot trends for all channels
b) hot trends for selected folder branch / level
c) group all most updated / worst updated channels
d) view all folder with troubles in one window
e) trends history for selected folders
f) dynamic machine learning filters - user create filter, add articles to add list and to remove list. Awasu try figure out base on it what suggest user to see.

Summary

I know that some features is a lot of coding, but I miss basic analytics funcionality in Awasu itselfs. For the most advance project I understand database, other servers etc. but I think about Awasu as mobile platform to get new data, basic filtering on the a lot of automatic ways and then make things happend with more advanced in the end scripts / analytics. Posibility get laptop, run analytics, get result on the field not affected by other services / hardware.

support
Site Admin

Re: GUI improvment + Analytics view tools

Post by support » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Cool, more good ideas :-) Thanks!
awasu.user wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:29 pm
a) click on folder - load all articles in folder (grouped channel) in view in middle / right (left) window
This is a report, which can be configured to show items from channels in a folder.
awasu.user wrote:
b) view only last 10/20/100 new articles per channel + option a)
Channels can be configured to show the last N items, and can be changed temporarily using the "Format" button in the navbar in the channel's browser window.

Reports can be configured to show all/new/unread items, although there is no feature to only show the last N items (this is not really the intent behind reports).
awasu.user wrote:
c) keyboard shortcuts to new folder / folder up or for root level folder if someone have nested hierarchy of feeds like me), open / close actual folder level channels
This is a standard Windows control, and responds to the normal keyboard controls e.g. try using the arrow keys, especially left/right to close/open folders.
awasu.user wrote:
d) view all folder with troubles in one window
Channel clean-up will identify channels that are having trouble updating, as well as channels that haven't received any new content in a while.

It would also be able to write a plugin that generated a single-page report with this kind of information in it (it would appear in the Plugins tab of the Control Centre).
awasu.user wrote:
c) group all most updated / worst updated channels
Not quite sure what you're asking for. If the "most updated" channel means "has received the most number of new items in the last X days", I'm not sure how useful a metric this is. Awasu has always been about quality of data, not quantity :-), which leads into your other points...
awasu.user wrote:
a) hot trends for all channels
b) hot trends for selected folder branch / level
e) trends history for selected folders
f) dynamic machine learning filters - user create filter, add articles to add list and to remove list. Awasu try figure out base on it what suggest user to see.
I think about Awasu as mobile platform to get new data, basic filtering on the a lot of automatic ways and then make things happend with more advanced in the end scripts / analytics. Posibility get laptop, run analytics, get result on the field not affected by other services / hardware.
That's actually a pretty accurate description :-)

Way back in the mists of time when I first started writing Awasu, I actually started adding these kind of features, but I realized that everyone would have a different idea of what they wanted, and so switched to making Awasu an information retrieval engine, but highly customizable, so that users could configure it to work exactly the way they wanted. This can be done on several levels: simple tasks can be done within Awasu via filters and reports, more complicated use-cases can have external scripts querying Awasu via the API (which you've been doing), and only the largest sites need to store the content in an external database and work with it there.

It should be noted that an external database doesn't have to be on an external server, you could run a copy of Postgres on MySQL on the same laptop as Awasu; you only need a proper database to handle the larger volume of data.

awasu.user

Post by awasu.user » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:26 am

My propose for Awasu Analytics Tools

Engine:
When user click on headline link in GUI it is add headline title to match content from title. After reading article user has option to select boring/intersting article. If article is intersting is add to match from all text content.

Match content from title is use to preselect articles based on previous choice of the user. If he more uses GUI it is more accurate (fx. TF-IDF). It should be optimal and fast for suggest articles on base what user read before.

Match from all text content - is use to analyse body text. I see two option here - as extension prematch selection and get more accurate results or to slow analysis all articles (but after some number of thousand articles starts not make sense, because it can be to slow on consumer computer).

Hot trends

Fast analysis headlines from user channels to get unique keywords - example:
https://news.google.com/?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

current keywords In the news:
Mac Miller
Barack Obama
Donald Trump
George Papadopoulos
Brett Kavanaugh
Elon Musk
Police officer
Tropical cyclone
Stormy Daniels
Tesla, Inc.
When you click on keyword you start search in Awasu.

I think described options and scenarios are common for all GUI users. If someone make analytics on large scale it probably use no GUI Awasu version, but when someone use GUI version it will be application more personalised. If more oftern user uses application then it base on machine learning etc. to get more personalised result. It is unique and it is advantage for the future.

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 am

awasu.user wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:26 am
When user click on headline link in GUI it is add headline title to match content from title. After reading article user has option to select boring/intersting article. If article is intersting is add to match from all text content.
People will then want "OK", "follow up", "maybe", etc. :-) and it starts getting a bit messy. This is the idea behind send-to tools - you can send the article to an arbitrary place, whether it be an Awasu workpad, an online bookmark service (like Furl used to be), Google Translate, or a database. It's completely customizable, rather than having to rely on specific features built into Awasu.
awasu.user wrote:
Match content from title is use to preselect articles based on previous choice of the user. If he more uses GUI it is more accurate (fx. TF-IDF). It should be optimal and fast for suggest articles on base what user read before.
Ages ago, I did some work on this kind of analysis of what the user was reading, but found out pretty quickly it was kinda useless, because Awasu presents feed content as a "river of news" i.e. all the feed items in a single page. Traditional feed readers present items one at a time, which is much slower than a "river of news", which lets you scan through the content very quickly, but this also means that you can't tell what content the user is paying the most attention to. Tracking what they click on is useless if their feeds are full-content, since there's no need to click through.
awasu.user wrote:
When you click on keyword you start search in Awasu.
Select a phrase in a page, then choose Tools/Awasu Search or Tools/Google Search.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”