targon

Synchronization Hangs - 2.1 Professional

Post by targon » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:40 am

I'm syncing Awasu 2.1 Professional between two computers, and more often than not, Awasu hangs while loading the sync data.

I'm running the synchronization manually, from a local file. Awasu suspends channel updates and starts synchronizing, but then reads a few channels and just freezes. After I've killed it, and run the synchronization again, it goes through.

One of the computers is running Windows 2000 and the other XP. Awasu is installed from the same installation package on both computers, but one was gradually upgraded from 2.0 and the other one is a fresh installation. That's the only difference I can think of.
Tero

support
Site Admin

Re: Synchronization Hangs - 2.1 Professional

Post by support » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:56 pm

Next time it hangs, try this.

Set up a clean installation of Awasu in another directory - you can have more than one, just don't try and run them at the same time. The easiest way to do this is to copy over your existing installation and then delete the Users directory.

Then do a sync and see if the clean copy hangs as well. If so, send me a copy of the sync data file.

targon

Post by targon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:40 am

support wrote:Set up a clean installation of Awasu in another directory

Didn't hang, at least during the first sync.

It seems you have an idea what was causing the problem?

Now to go through the hundred-odd feeds that re-appeared as unread...
Tero

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:00 am

targon wrote:
support wrote:It seems you have an idea what was causing the problem?

Um, actually no :oops: But like most software, Awasu installation can degrade over time, esepcially if you've been installing lots of alphas/betas, fiddling with config files etc.

So, for a problem like this, the first thing to do is try it on a clean installation and see if it still happens.

targon wrote:Now to go through the hundred-odd feeds that re-appeared as unread...

You don't need to do this on the copy of Awasu you actually use day-to-day. It's just to see if the crash still happens.

targon

Possible cause/solution

Post by targon » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:08 am

support wrote:like most software, Awasu installation can degrade over time, esepcially if you've been installing lots of alphas/betas, fiddling with config files etc.

I think this might be the reason; I got some weird error message about Awasu not being able to read a channel report. So, I deleted everything under user/Reports and tried a re-sync with every item in "Don't synchronize these" (including channel reports) checked. And now it went through.

I haven't been able to verify this on the other computer I sync to yet, but last sync there went ok, so I'm hopeful the report file had just degraded and corrupted the sync file somehow.

BTW, it's great that Awasu is so well designed that you can just go and delete files (like the reports) or even directories (including the whole user directory) and, instead of crashing or complaining, it just builds them anew.
Tero

support
Site Admin

Re: Possible cause/solution

Post by support » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:41 am

targon wrote:I'm hopeful the report file had just degraded and corrupted the sync file somehow.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, I just sent you an email explaining what I found in the sync data files you sent me. There seems to be an extra byte at the end of the data file which is causing the problem. Awasu was coded to detect such corruptions but there was another bug that was causing it to loop :oops:

So there's either a bug in Awasu when it creates the sync data file or I'm thinking that maybe this extra byte is being introduced when you're transfering the file between machines (I'm suspicious because it's always \0x0A).

targon wrote:BTW, it's great that Awasu is so well designed that you can just go and delete files (like the reports) or even directories (including the whole user directory) and, instead of crashing or complaining, it just builds them anew.

Yep. Past experience taught me that this is a really cool thing to have :-)

support
Site Admin

Re: Possible cause/solution

Post by support » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:34 am

This problem has been resolved. targon was using the GMail File System to transfer the sync files and it was appending an extra byte to the file. Awasu would normally detect such corruptions but there was a bug that was causing it to loop.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”