topeju

Odd channel update problem in Awasu 2.1*

Post by topeju » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:53 am

I have one channel which behaves rather strangely in Awasu. The RSS feed is at http://babeknabel.fi/index2.php?option= ... &no_html=1

Awasu always gets an error when updating the channel, and the last feed shows

Code: Select all

<br />
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Call to a member function on a non-object in <b>/site/babeknabel.fi/www/includes/mambo.php</b> on line <b>345</b><br />

which obviously isn't a valid RSS feed.

However, after I open and refresh the address in IE, Awasu will also update it properly (once). I used to think this might be a proxy issue (since the proxies at the office tend to sometimes act weird), but the channel behaves the same way at home too. Also, all validators I've tried report the feed is valid, and wget'ing the feed also gives me a valid result.

I do think this is most likely not an error in Awasu but either in the forum itself, but it would be nice to know why Awasu gets the error when "nothing" else does.

Targon might have the same feed. Do you have the same problem? I think I had this problem already with 2.0*, but am not quite sure.

support
Site Admin

Re: Odd channel update problem in Awasu 2.1*

Post by support » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:58 am

I didn't have any problems at all with this channel.

It's almost certainly a problem at their end. Maybe they're checking the user agent or your IP address and there's a bug in their code somewhere. If you get the feed in IE, that will load it into the cache and Awasu is probably getting it from there.

topeju

Post by topeju » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:27 am

support wrote:I didn't have any problems at all with this channel.

As I expected. :-(

It's almost certainly a problem at their end. Maybe they're checking the user agent or your IP address and there's a bug in their code somewhere. If you get the feed in IE, that will load it into the cache and Awasu is probably getting it from there.

Hmm, if they were checking the user agent, shouldn't you also have had problems with it?

My IP address is also variable between home and office, so unless both my home and my office are on the same list, that shouldn't be a concern.

Hmm, as Awasu uses IE to handle the HTTP requests themselves, will the cookies etc also come from IE? Or what is different between the requests made from within Awasu against requests made from IE?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:22 pm

topeju wrote:Hmm, if they were checking the user agent, shouldn't you also have had problems with it?

My IP address is also variable between home and office, so unless both my home and my office are on the same list, that shouldn't be a concern.

OK, so I was racing out the door when I answered your inital post and obviously didn't think things through... :oops:

topeju wrote:Hmm, as Awasu uses IE to handle the HTTP requests themselves, will the cookies etc also come from IE? Or what is different between the requests made from within Awasu against requests made from IE?

None. Awasu uses WinInet, as does IE so everything should be the same. There are some minor differences in functionality because IE itself implements some extra stuff on top of WinInet.

topeju

Post by topeju » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:08 pm

support wrote:None. Awasu uses WinInet, as does IE so everything should be the same. There are some minor differences in functionality because IE itself implements some extra stuff on top of WinInet.

Damn, there goes another possible explanation. :-( I guess I'll just have to tcpdump the connections to see what is happening.

targon

Post by targon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:30 am

topeju wrote:Targon might have the same feed. Do you have the same problem?

I have no problem with that feed.

I'm at the moment using 2.1 Professional, but I don't think that should matter.
Tero

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”