Post Reply
nickg
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Searching for "versioning" and "version"

Post by nickg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:22 am

I'm using Advanced Edition 2.0.5. When I type "versioning" sans quotes into the toolbar search box, I get back lots of entries with only the word "version" in them. Why is search doing this stemming? Same thing happens with "extensibility" and "extensible"! I looked at the search settings, and I didn't see anything to do with stemming. I tried turning advanced syntax on and off. No effect.

Suggestions?
-- Nick

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Searching for "versioning" and "version&a

Post by support » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:30 pm

Yes, stemming is turned on by default. To disable it, exit Awasu and open CONFIG.INI in your user's home directory in Notepad. Find the line that says "EnableStemming=1" and change it to "EnableStemming=0"

You also need to run ArchiveMaintenance.exe and rebuild the search index.

nickg
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by nickg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response. So I guess its a feature, not a bug. Might I make the following alternative feature requests:
    * Document the feature in the help file; OR
    * Make the default "EnableStemming=0", since with Advanced Syntax one can use wildcards for quasi-stemming; OR
    * Enable ""'s to turn off stemming, e.g., "versioning" would not be stemmed, but versioning would; OR
    * Provide a stemming checkbox it the search settings dialog box.

I love Awasu, and appreciate seeing it get better and better.
-- Nick

nickg
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

It didn't work

Post by nickg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:37 pm

I did what you said--changing the 1 to 0 and reindexing. It "versioning" still matches "version". Any suggestions?
-- Nick

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: It didn't work

Post by support » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm uploading the first draft of the 2.1 help now and this switch is documented.

I'll take a look at it to see if it's still working.

nickg
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by nickg » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:48 am

Just to correct and clarify my ungrammatical previous posting. It should have read:
I did what you said--changing the 1 to 0 and reindexing. It still doesn't work properly: "versioning" still matches "version". Any suggestions?

I'm assuming your response, "I'll take a look at it to see if it's still working", means that you're checking to see if setting EnableStemming to zero actually turns off the stemming behavior.
-- Nick

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by support » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:54 am

nickg wrote:I'm assuming your response, "I'll take a look at it to see if it's still working", means that you're checking to see if setting EnableStemming to zero actually turns off the stemming behavior.


I did a quick test and got the same thing as you i.e. stemming even when it was disabled. We use a third-party component for search and all the Awasu code looks correct so the problem may be elsewhere. I'll try to resolve this in the next beta.

Post Reply

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”