nickg

Searching for "versioning" and "version"

Post by nickg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:22 am

I'm using Advanced Edition 2.0.5. When I type "versioning" sans quotes into the toolbar search box, I get back lots of entries with only the word "version" in them. Why is search doing this stemming? Same thing happens with "extensibility" and "extensible"! I looked at the search settings, and I didn't see anything to do with stemming. I tried turning advanced syntax on and off. No effect.

Suggestions?
-- Nick

support
Site Admin

Re: Searching for "versioning" and "version&a

Post by support » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:30 pm

Yes, stemming is turned on by default. To disable it, exit Awasu and open CONFIG.INI in your user's home directory in Notepad. Find the line that says "EnableStemming=1" and change it to "EnableStemming=0"

You also need to run ArchiveMaintenance.exe and rebuild the search index.

nickg

Post by nickg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response. So I guess its a feature, not a bug. Might I make the following alternative feature requests:
    * Document the feature in the help file; OR
    * Make the default "EnableStemming=0", since with Advanced Syntax one can use wildcards for quasi-stemming; OR
    * Enable ""'s to turn off stemming, e.g., "versioning" would not be stemmed, but versioning would; OR
    * Provide a stemming checkbox it the search settings dialog box.

I love Awasu, and appreciate seeing it get better and better.
-- Nick

nickg

It didn't work

Post by nickg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:37 pm

I did what you said--changing the 1 to 0 and reindexing. It "versioning" still matches "version". Any suggestions?
-- Nick

support
Site Admin

Re: It didn't work

Post by support » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm uploading the first draft of the 2.1 help now and this switch is documented.

I'll take a look at it to see if it's still working.

nickg

Post by nickg » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:48 am

Just to correct and clarify my ungrammatical previous posting. It should have read:
I did what you said--changing the 1 to 0 and reindexing. It still doesn't work properly: "versioning" still matches "version". Any suggestions?

I'm assuming your response, "I'll take a look at it to see if it's still working", means that you're checking to see if setting EnableStemming to zero actually turns off the stemming behavior.
-- Nick

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:54 am

nickg wrote:I'm assuming your response, "I'll take a look at it to see if it's still working", means that you're checking to see if setting EnableStemming to zero actually turns off the stemming behavior.

I did a quick test and got the same thing as you i.e. stemming even when it was disabled. We use a third-party component for search and all the Awasu code looks correct so the problem may be elsewhere. I'll try to resolve this in the next beta.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”