gjrjf

PE 2.0 100% CPU usage on Start

Post by gjrjf » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:37 pm

Using the 2.0 PE with 4 channels selected from the OPML lists I'm getting 100% CPU usage on my WinXP Pro machine, lots-o-RAM with broadband connectivity. The Activity logs show that the channels have been updated OK but CPU usage remains at 100%. There are no messages in the Error log or Awasu logs.
I've tried saving a synch and restarting from the synch to no avail. Reinstall of 2.0 PE does not seem to help either.
I did not experience this behaviour on the first download (no previous Awasu on the system) and configuration only after a system restart the awasu.exe pegs at all available CPU usage.
Is there an activity log debug mode to tell what the app thinks it's doing?
Thanks

support
Site Admin

Re: PE 2.0 100% CPU usage on Start

Post by support » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:29 am

Is this happening all the time?

Awasu will use 100% CPU when it starts up, after it has finished loading all the channels, so if you have a lot of feeds, it can take a while.

If you look in the Logs directory, you will find several log files that have names starting with "Awasu".

jwenck

CPU usage

Post by jwenck » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:47 pm

Same problem here. Those log files have a length of 0!

Joerg

jwenck

Post by jwenck » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 pm

To make this clear: config.ini has a setting of 1000 msgs for the logs, but they are just nowhere to be seen. And, well, the channels do get updated - in batches of about 20. In between the batches, nothing happens - except that Awasu keeps hogging the CPU. A variant of the whole thing is that Awasu may not get beyond the first batch - just hanging in there and thrashing.

Joerg

jwenck

Post by jwenck » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:55 pm

More info:
This time, I saw that Awasu finished updating. The activity log has all the appropriate data; the "Awasu log" remains empty, while the error log also has two entries. CPU still at 90%. TCPView shows Awasu using seven to eight connections still. I can close two - one is CLOSE_WAIT, the other ESTABLISHED, the rest can´t be closed: they are in listening mode.

Joerg

jwenck

Post by jwenck » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:02 pm

My last observation: Awasu just released the CPU. It took less than ten minutes for updating 74 channels, but then held on to the CPU for another half hour (and does so regularly, indeed may go on longer without me intervening and killing some connections.)

Joerg

BTW, since email seems to be "terminally broken" - as the phrase now goes - did you catch my feature suggestion?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:23 am

jwenck wrote:BTW, since email seems to be "terminally broken" - as the phrase now goes - did you catch my feature suggestion?

Yes, I did and I sent you an email.

It's better to post suggestions here anyway since other people can
comment. At least, when our hosting company is not trying to hose our
databases. Sigh...

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:33 am

gjrjf wrote:Is there an activity log debug mode to tell what the app thinks it's doing?

Create a file called DEBUG.INI in your user's home directory that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[MessageLog]
_EnableThreadIds=1
_HighPrecisionTimestamps=1
'
ChannelManager=1
ChannelUpdateAgent=1
ChannelEvents=1
Startup=1
ScriptPlugins=1
NotificationRequestQueue=1
HttpActivity=1
HttpHeaders=1
BackgroundThread=1
ChannelScriptingEngine=1
CachedNextUpdateTimes=1

This will log a whole bunch of stuff to Awasu.log which you can send to me.

kyodylee

Post by kyodylee » Sun May 16, 2004 7:22 am

Was this problem resolved? Just curious. :?:

I use Awasu 2.0 AE on WinXP. I have about 300 channels now. Awasu does use 100% CPU while loading and updating the channels, but it takes less than 3-4 minutes to update all 300 channels, then CPU usage goes back down.

I did have a similar problem with Awasu hanging up in an earlier edition, but no longer. Thank you Taka. :)

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun May 16, 2004 12:16 pm

kyodylee wrote:Was this problem resolved? Just curious. :?:

I use Awasu 2.0 AE on WinXP. I have about 300 channels now. Awasu does use 100% CPU while loading and updating the channels, but it takes less than 3-4 minutes to update all 300 channels, then CPU usage goes back down.

The problem kinda resolved itself :-) :oops: BTW, you'll be pleased to hear that startup is much quicker in the latest version, something like 10x faster :-)

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”