mark8barnes

Can awasu do this?

Post by mark8barnes » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:00 pm

I've just downloaded Awasu, and it looks very, very good. But with the different versions, plus the hooks and customisations, I am getting a bit confused with it all.

This is what I want to do:

Download various RSS feeds, pull out the news items that contain certain keywords and combine these items into one new feed. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Mark

support
Site Admin

Re: Can awasu do this?

Post by support » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:46 pm

mark8barnes wrote:This is what I want to do:

Download various RSS feeds, pull out the news items that contain certain keywords and combine these items into one new feed. Is this possible?

We will be adding a feature very soon that does exactly this.

Currently, search agents can be set up that highlight channels and items that match your search queries. If you want to generate a new feed from them, you will have to write your own custom plugin.

You might want to take a look at Allan's MySQL channel hook. It puts everything into a MySQL database and it would be easy to write something that scans it periodically and generate an RSS feed from it.

targon

Post by targon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:50 am

mark8barnes wrote:Download various RSS feeds, pull out the news items that contain certain keywords and combine these items into one new feed.

Can you give parameters to the XSL transformations? (This question is to Taka, not the person who asked the original question.) I don't think so. This (the task described above) would be quite easy to implement otherwise even with the current version, since there is a plugin that combines feeds, and an XSLT that filters out all items except those that have certain words in them, is very simple.

If you want to make only one of these "search feeds", that can be done by hardcoding the keywords into the XSLT. But if you want more searches, without parameters, you'd have to have a different XSLT file for each of them.
Tero

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:48 pm

targon wrote:Can you give parameters to the XSL transformations? (This question is to Taka, not the person who asked the original question.) I don't think so. This (the task described above) would be quite easy to implement otherwise even with the current version, since there is a plugin that combines feeds, and an XSLT that filters out all items except those that have certain words in them, is very simple.

I am so not the person to be asking about XSLT :-) But given that this feature will be implemented natively in Awasu very soon, a work-around such as having an XSLT for each search you want to do is probably OK.

targon

Post by targon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:02 pm

support wrote:I am so not the person to be asking about XSLT :-) But given that this feature will be implemented natively in Awasu very soon, a work-around such as having an XSLT for each search you want to do is probably OK.

In XSLT, you can give parameters to the transformation. What I meant was, can Awasu give these parameters to the transformations it's using. But you're right, it's not a big deal to have separate files for the queries, since they probably won't change very often.
Tero

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”