Dan

Customizing the interface

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to do a few basic things:
  • View all items in a folder at once (for instance, see the Times and Post items together that are in my "News" folder).
    Change the display window to show the date the item arrived.
    Remove items once I've read them. I thought I could just press the Delete button on my keyboard to get rid of them, but that doesn't help.
Is there an easy way to do that?

support
Site Admin

Re: Customizing the interface

Post by support » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Awasu is a "river of news" feed reader, so it works a little differently from a traditional feed reader, or email program. If you're coming from an old-style feed reader, it may take a bit of time to get used to it, but it lets you fly through your feeds much faster.
Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:48 pm
View all items in a folder at once (for instance, see the Times and Post items together that are in my "News" folder).
It's possible to generate a report that includes all items (or just new, or just unread items) across multiple folders - right click on the folder in My Channels and choose Folders/New channel report.
Dan wrote:
Change the display window to show the date the item arrived.
Open the channel's Properties dialog, click on the Item pane button and add a new column e,g, with a "Metadata value" of "timestamp noCaption" (you can give it any name e.g. "Timestamp").
Dan wrote:
Remove items once I've read them. I thought I could just press the Delete button on my keyboard to get rid of them, but that doesn't help.
Channels can be configured to show only new or unread items only, either temporarily from the embedded browser's navbar (click on the Format button) or permanently (from the channel's Properties dialog, Show feed items setting in the Channel tab). When you click through on an item, it gets marked as read, and will be removed from the item pane.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 pm

I imported a bunch of subscriptions from an opml file and now have hundreds of items from all of them, going back months. What I'd like to do is see all of them in one list, do some kind of "select all" on everything older than a week, and have them all go away. What's the best way to do that?

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Oh and also, is there a way to display a hyperlink to enclosures in the display pane, or do we have to click on each item to view that?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 pm
I imported a bunch of subscriptions from an opml file and now have hundreds of items from all of them, going back months. What I'd like to do is see all of them in one list, do some kind of "select all" on everything older than a week, and have them all go away. What's the best way to do that?
Awasu doesn't work like an email program. Other feed readers have tried this, and people find that it becomes difficult to use when you have large amounts of content.

There are 2 settings that control what you see. The first one controls how long Awasu keeps feed items for. You can set this globally in the Program Options (Archive tab, Keep content for), or per-channel (Advanced tab).

You can also control how far back you want to show feed items from, again either globally (Display tab, Show the last setting) or per-channel (Channel tab).

So, for example, you could keep content going back for 1 month, but only show stuff from the last week. This means that content from the 3 weeks prior is still there, if you want to occasionally check on it.

If you don't care about that, then just keep the content going back a week, and that's all you will ever see.

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:50 pm
Oh and also, is there a way to display a hyperlink to enclosures in the display pane, or do we have to click on each item to view that?
Not really. The problem is that there is often more than one enclosure, and it would be insanely difficult to make it clickable.

If you Control-Click on the feed item (or press Control-Enter), Awasu will scroll to the corresponding item within Awasu (i.e. it won't go to the publisher's website), and you will be able to see all the enclosures there.

You can also see all your enclosures in the Downloaded Files window (accessible from the View menu).

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”