jonahviakeyboard

Awasu Search vs. Technorati & Google

Post by jonahviakeyboard » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:30 pm

This is a question about how Awasu's search differs from blog search engines. It assumes that some bloggers publish full feeds, some publish feeds with snippets (partial content), and some publish titles only.

Please let me know if I've got each of these statements right:

1) Awasu can index whatever is published in the blog feed. 2) Awasu cannot index the full content of a post if it is not included in the feed by the publisher. 3) Therefore, Awasu's search is limited to content included in feeds by their publishers.

4) Technorati and Google's Blog Search are alerted of new posts by pings and checking to see if feeds are updated. 5) When new posts are detected, Google and Technorati go to the post, spider the page, and add the full content to their index, regardless of whether it was included in the feed. 6) Therefore, Google's and Technorati's search is not limited to content included in feeds by publishers.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to combine search channels with Technorati results. Are my assumptions above correct? Is there a way to search or get the full content of a post without using Technorati?

This is in no way a gripe with Awasu. I have the pro version and love it.

support
Site Admin

Re: Awasu Search vs. Technorati & Google

Post by support » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:50 pm

jonahviakeyboard wrote:1) Awasu can index whatever is published in the blog feed. 2) Awasu cannot index the full content of a post if it is not included in the feed by the publisher. 3) Therefore, Awasu's search is limited to content included in feeds by their publishers.

Yes, yes and yes :-) We have plans to allow indexing of linked-to articles, even if the content is not in the feed (Awasu can already pull down the content to allow for reading offline).

jonahviakeyboard wrote:4) Technorati and Google's Blog Search are alerted of new posts by pings and checking to see if feeds are updated. 5) When new posts are detected, Google and Technorati go to the post, spider the page, and add the full content to their index, regardless of whether it was included in the feed. 6) Therefore, Google's and Technorati's search is not limited to content included in feeds by publishers.

I'm not sure exactly how Technorati or Google work. When they are pinged, I suspect they go and retrieve the feed itself. Whether or not they also index linked-to content at that time or do it later, I'm not sure.

jonahviakeyboard wrote:Is there a way to search or get the full content of a post without using Technorati?

Depends how technical you are. It would be possible to write a channel hook that gets invoked every time Awasu receives new feed items. The hook could then follow the links and index it elsewhere, for example.

jonahviakeyboard

Post by jonahviakeyboard » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:16 pm

We have plans to allow indexing of linked-to articles, even if the content is not in the feed

That would be an incredibly powerful feature! Searching Awasu's index is great, but leaves me wondering what I'm missing. I would definitely pay more for that functionality. Keep up the great work.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”