benn600

Email RSS Question

Post by benn600 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:53 pm

I am still trying to setup a nice solution for my laptop and desktop. I use Thunderbird for my IMAP email and synchronize the two computers with a program--but I do not have to unless I changed my address book, etc, because the email is downloaded upon each opening of Thunderbird. The problem is that if I don't sync after every use before switching computers, I will have to download news stories again, taking extra time.

Is there a way for me to run this software (or another piece) on my server and have it automatically forward news stories to my email account? It happens to be that I am running hMailServer for my email and it would be on the same computer--not that that would help the situation much. Anyway, this would eliminate the double downloading problem I have to go through and my email would include news as well.

I have tried forwarding in Thunderbird so I would just leave TB open with a filter to automatically forward emails, but it just forwards a link to the story. I really want it to forward the HTML email and ideally, include a unique tag not visible to me that I could setup to copy to a folder under my email for news. This would be absolutely amazing. Thanks a lot!

support
Site Admin

Re: Email RSS Question

Post by support » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:19 am

The SendEmail channel hook can be used to email new items as they arrive.

benn600

Post by benn600 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:46 am

This is quite sad! I went to that site and I can't find a download link. I often times look so hard I miss links, but I truly don't see it. How do I download the Send Email hook?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:02 am

benn600 wrote:How do I download the Send Email hook?

You don't need to, it comes installed with Awasu. You'll find it in ChannelHooks under the Awasu installation directory.

benn600

Post by benn600 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:04 am

Thanks a lot! I will check it out!

benn600

Post by benn600 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 am

How can I get it to test sending a message? I have it set up to send myself email but have yet to get email after adding new feeds and trying other things?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:20 am

Create a test RSS file on your PC and subscribe to it. You can then manually add new items to it.

Or just subscribe to a channel that always has lots of new stuff.

jonahviakeyboard

Post by jonahviakeyboard » Sat May 20, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having trouble with the sendemailhook, too.

I've got it set up on a feed that gets updated many times a day, and the feed is set up to update daily.

The global setting on the sendemailhook are set up as smtp.rcn.com (rcn is my ISP).

I got this error in the log when I updated the feed:

20may06 12:53:37 | Couldn't send the email: rc=2

I changed the global smtp settings to mail.viakeyboard.com, but no luck yet.

In outlook, my ISP (I think) requires smtp authentication. Should that matter for awasu? What should I set the smtp to? Or does "Couldn't send the email: rc=2" mean something else is wrong?

Thanks for the help.

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm

jonahviakeyboard wrote:In outlook, my ISP (I think) requires smtp authentication.

Your ISP will almost certainly require SMTP authentication. You can set the username/password in the Global page of the SendEmail Properties dialog.

jonahviakeyboard

Post by jonahviakeyboard » Sat May 20, 2006 9:49 pm

I had set the username and password before when I got the rc=2 error in the sendemailhook log. I removed username and password, and am now getting an rc=1 error. What do these errors mean? Still no email. :?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun May 21, 2006 4:04 am

jonahviakeyboard wrote:I had set the username and password before when I got the rc=2 error in the sendemailhook log. I removed username and password, and am now getting an rc=1 error.

We use a third-party component for sending emails and the error messages are not too good :-)

If your email program requires a username/password, then you definitely need it in Awasu so put them back. Also, open the SendEmail Properties dialog, go to the Log tab, tick <i>Enable logging</i> and try again. Check the Log tab again after updating the channel and you should see some information about what the hook was doing.

It's worth pointing out that emails will only be sent out only for <u>new</u> items received when the channel is updated. Any items that Awasu has already seen will not get an email sent, even if one has not already been sent for them.

jonahviakeyboard

Post by jonahviakeyboard » Mon May 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Followed your instructions, here's the what the log said:

22may06 07:47:10 | The mail server did not accept Auth LOGIN PASSWD value
22may06 07:47:10 | STDERR:
22may06 07:47:10 | Couldn't send the email: rc=2

I'm certain the login and password are correct.

With the error message above, my smtp settings are smtp.rcn.com (RCN is my ISP)

When I'm connect with another ISP, I get the channel hook to work fine by setting smtp to mail.mydomain.com

I called my ISP, and they of course refused to help. Any idea how to get around this without changing my ISP?

support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon May 22, 2006 12:21 pm

jonahviakeyboard wrote:I'm certain the login and password are correct.

Have you tried different variations on the login name? Sometimes it needs to be USERNAME@isp.com, sometimes just USERNAME. What you need is whatever youve got your email program set up to use.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”