IMPORTANT: This is an alpha release (what's this?).
Some features may not be complete and there will probably be bugs!
You must be already running 2.3.1.
- Read the release notes below first!
- Backup your Awasu installation directory and keep it, even if the alpha appears to work correctly.
- Unpack one (!) of the following zips on top of your existing installation:
- Run admin.exe to upgrade your database (this will be quick).
Super-charged feed updating engine
Awasu now has a new super-duper feed updating engine that is around 2-5 times (!) faster
than the old one (depending on your PC and which edition of Awasu you are using).
Note that only the feed updating engine has been changed in this release.
If you have a lot of new content coming in, Awasu will be spending a lot of time
analyzing and archiving it, which will dominate the processing time. To see the full effect
of this change, update all your channels and then straight away, update them all again
(so that they will update but not receive any new content). You may need to restart Awasu
if the "Update all channels" item is disabled in the Tools menu. Then open
the Activity Log and watch the channels fly by :-)
Tracking of revised items is now off by default. This should significantly
reduce the size of the archive database and make opening channel windows faster.
The way Awasu tracks unread items has also been tweaked, which should fix
the problem of Awasu hanging the first few times you change channel filters.
It also makes startup a bit more pleasant if the filter you have active means that
a lot of channels are present in My Channels.
Minor changes and bug fixes
- Channel hooks now get a LastFeed parameter that points to the channel's last feed file.
- Fixed an infinite loop when trying to update an improperly configured feed that is using XML redirection.
- Downloads happening in the background are suspended if channels are being updated.
- The status bar is updated correctly if an error occurs while a feed item is downloaded for offline reading.
- Fixed a possible crash during shutdown.
- Fixed a problem where feed items were sometimes being downloaded for offline reading even after their parent channel had been deleted.
- Fixed (I hope) a problem that was causing keyboard shortcuts to occasionally fire twice.
- Show an icon in the browser tabs and menu bar for every window.
- Fixed a rare problem where a channel would sometimes be flagged as having new content but when you opened it, no items are flagged as new.
- Added a button to the About box to show detailed information about the version of Awasu you are running.
- Auto-discovery is broken if a bad feed URL is given to the Channel Wizard.
- The Window menu is not updated as windows are opened (seems to have been introduced in 2.3.1).
- The Awasu Admin tool is having trouble if you have non-English characters in your Windows account name.